We strive to be a good neighbor in the communities where we live and work.
Because we are part of the fabric of our communities, local management identifies the best way for us to use our talents and resources to benefit the community. In some areas, this includes participating in Habitat for Humanity and other home building and repair initiatives, and donating concrete for Little League ball parks. Recent examples of our community activities:
- After a deadly tornado tore through the Arkansas town of Vilonia, north of Little Rock, on April 25, 2011, Argos employees turned out to assist in the community-wide relief efforts. Our employees were proud to assist in providing a hot cooked meal and plenty of cold drinks to more than 400 workers, volunteers, citizens and victims.
- In Martin County, North Carolina, we provided the concrete foundation for an Extreme Makeover Home Edition program honoring a decorated disabled veteran.
- In Raleigh, NC, we participate in the annual Heritage Middle School Truck Fair and the Mills Park Middle School Truck Fair. We demonstrate a truck and answer questions about jobs in the concrete industry.
- In Durham and Chapel Hill, NC, we participate in the National Association for Women in Construction (NAWIC) Block Kids Competition. This program gives children grades K through 5 an opportunity to hone their building skills using 100 blocks plus three additional elements. We work with a local elementary school and an Argos employee participates as a judge.
- In Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, we have supported the local Humane Society for several years by providing a concrete mixer truck to dispense the hundreds of rubber ducks used in the annual charity duck race.
- In Fort Worth, we support Tarrant County College District's Construction Management program. This includes providing materials, supplies and plant tours for the students to support their lab projects; offering one intern position available for a TCCD student each semester to learn more about Argos plant operations, our quality management program, and the concrete industry; and having an Argos management team member serve on the TCCD Construction Management Advisory Board. We also work with local community colleges in other cities to support classes in concrete and construction.
- In Southlake, Texas, we have adopted two streets near our plant in conjunction with Keep Southlake Beautiful.
- In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, an Argos management team member serves on the Career & Technical Education committee at Prosper High School.
- In the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Argos donated materials to the Colleyville Heritage High School aquatic project.
- In Frisco, TX, Argos employees collected $800.00 worth of canned goods to donate to the Frisco Family Services Center food bank for families in need.
- In Keller, TX, we participated in the Touch a Truck 2010 event supporting the Princess Alexa Foundation, a 100 percent volunteer organization with a mission to celebrate the childhood spirit of seriously ill children through dress up and play.
- In Dallas, we participated in Career on Wheels Day at Nancy Moseley Elementary, including a presentation to all students about the science involved in producing concrete and about the many environmentally friendly applications it is used for, and provided an opportunity for children to sit in the driver's seat of the mixer truck and honk the horn.
- In Fort Worth, TX, we partner with the Fort Worth University Little League Association by providing materials for improvements to the baseball fields on Old Hemphill Rd. across from the concrete plant located on the south side of Fort Worth.
- In Terrell and Mesquite, TX, Texas Agri-Life Extension water resources specialist Dr. Fouad Jaber, Kaufman County Agri-Life Extension agent Ralph Davis, the Kaufman County Master Gardeners Club, the Cities of Terrell and Forney and an Argos management team member collaborated to design and install a rain garden at the Argos concrete plants in Terrell and Mesquite. The rain gardens will become an integral part of the plants' overall water quality program.
- In Dallas, Argos has provided concrete at greatly reduced prices to support community projects including Habitat for Humanity and Frazier Fellowship West.
We have been recognized by our communities for our support, including Williamston Community Improvement Award.